Twas the Night Before School...

and all through the house.  Not a creature was stirring....WAIT????!!!! WHAT???!!!

Heaven's yes they are stirring.  I can't get these littles to calm down to save my life.  You'd think I bought them each a case of pixie sticks and a 2 liter of Mountain Dew with a Monster chaser and sent them upstairs.  Now, I know, it is all just nervous energy.  The excitement of starting another  school year.  The joy of getting to see some of their friends again after a long summer of not seeing them.  I get this.  I do, really.  After all, it hasn't been THAT long ago since...ha!  Who am I kidding?  It has been 18 years since I've had a "first day of school" - in the traditional sense at least.

This is a milestone year in our house for many reasons.  For happiness' sake I'm going to start with the positives.  They are all tear jerking in some manner or form.  I'll shed tears tomorrow.  I know.  Yes, I'll be that mom with the snot dripping, tear soaked face hugging her littles at the front doors.  It's truly a blessing getting to embarrass them like that.  Oh, come on.  I wouldn't DARE do that to them...or would I?  *insert evil laugh*

First, my biggest little, the one who started my path of mommydom is entering 6th grade. YES!  6th GRADE!  Holy hell here people.  This is epic.  I mean here lies the start of pre-teen angst, whirlwind emotions, puberty (ack), lessons about boys, changing classrooms for each subject, lockers, gym class, on and on and on...I just PRAY she has a better go of it than I did.  I can still remember my first day AND what I wore.  Yes, it is truly a gift.  No, it was that mortifying.  At least my little has the benefit of being with the same group of kids since pre-school.  I was thrust upon my peers in an ever so non-eloquent way.  Yes...angst....sigh... Carry on my head-strong, self-sufficient, independent girl.  Show them what YOU are made of!

Second, my middle little, well, she is in 4th grade.  She is the quintessential middle little.  She is a strong willed child with whom I butt heads at every turn.  She is also a very, very dramatic child, but mostly she just likes the reassurance that she isn't forgotten.  This year, she is the big sister in school.  So she gets to help her little sister.  This is a big role to hold.  I'm excited for her for this.  I think deep down she is also very excited.  She gets to have responsibility and help.  That and she gets to wield her new iPad tomorrow.  My generation had the ink pen...hers a stylus.  Carry on my little princess warrior and show them what YOU are made of!

Third, my littlest little.  My baby.  My precious little girl, who is also FULL.up.to.her.eyeballs. in mischief, is entering Kindergarten.  The BIG K!  She is so excited she is bouncing off the walls.  Literally.  I can't calm this one down.  We've already had a wardrobe meltdown of epic proportions.  We finally settled on an outfit only to have her put it on already and wear it for the past hour.  I'm thinking I'm going to have to make a midnight run to Wal-Mart and pick her up something special.  She is my clothes kid.  Don't laugh, this is going to be a REAL issue in the years to come.  I can't wait to hear about her first day.  The new kids she meets, the new teacher, everything.  I know her passion for making people laugh will land her in time out or detention or what ever it is they have now, but I wouldn't have her any other way.  Carry on my little class clown and show them what YOU are made of.

Last, and this is the milestone that could be left untouched, unspoken really.  This will be their first school year where mommy and daddy aren't together.  But, because the ex-mister and I really are decent friends, not to mention great parents, we are going to be there, together, for them this first day.  He will walk with us as in all years past, taking pictures, holding hands...with them, not me...as we send our littles off for yet another year of learning and adventure.  Who says that changes in life can't be modified and worked to the best of everyone's interest.  After all, it isn't them he divorced and compromise and working together for those who need it the most, is the best lesson learnt.  You, know, since we're all getting schooled here.  So, we will carry on and show them what WE are made of!

Happy School Year to All and to All a Good Night!!!!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Kitchen Curtains

But Would You Still Say Yes?

A Slight Wardrobe Modification