It All Takes Time

This is the name of my blog, well, actually it is I Read Too Much, but to get here you have to type in ...italltakestime... and well, frankly, it does.  I woke up this morning a bit after 7am.  It felt so good to sleep in.  Then I read a book, goofed around on the Internet, watched two saved TV programs, cleaned the kitchen, cooked dinner, watched a 2.5 hour class and did homework.  Now, I'm sitting here still at my computer wondering where the day went.  That list, in my mind, in no way justifies the loss of 15 hours, yet it is. 

You know, a funny thing about time, we are all given 24 hours of it each day and yet no two of us uses it the same way.  All of our 24 hours are as unique as we are.  Kind of makes you really think; well, it does for me at least.  Then I got to thinking about the way time is manipulated.  For instance, tonight we are to move our clocks forward an hour in the observance of Daylight Savings Time.  Seriously, this is a big deal for some.  I guess in a way it is, but when you think regardless of how you manipulate a clock's hands you are still only given 24 hours in a day; it is just accounted for differently. 

Time.  We read about it, sing about it, fret about it, wish for more of it, wish for less of it, but truly it is what it is.  The accounting for it is the same no matter where you are.  1 year - 52 weeks - 365 days - 8760 hours, and I could go on.  The point I'm making is time is the one thing that despite what we will it to be, will continue on.  It always was and always will be because it itself is the creation of our God. 

In the beginning...time wasn't accounted for until then, thus, it too had a beginning.  God gave us light and "and saw that the light was good, and separated it from the darkness.  God called the light 'day' and the darkness he called 'night. And there was evening and there was morning -the first day." (Gen 1:3-5)  It is amazing to think that something that is so profoundly important to us, the thing we base all matters of our being to, had a start.  I think it is even more amazing still that it wasn't the first thing created; but it was the first life based parameter created.  Now work with me here as I form a parallel - well at least share one that my brain drew.

John 1:1-5 says; "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.  He was with God in the beginning.  Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.  In him was life, and that life was the light of men,  The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it."  A couple things here:
  1. Genesis 1:1-5 the beginning of creation & time / John 1:1-5 the beginning of God the father & the Word (Jesus).
  2. Genesis: light and dark - the first day / John: "light shines in the darkness" - reference of Jesus in this world, in our lives.
OK, so I guess what I'm getting at is that we are because God is and we have time because He gave it.  The days we are given come and go - how will you spend them?

For your listening pleasure - or at least for a list of 10 songs about Time, go here: http://www.aolradioblog.com/2009/12/31/10-best-time-songs/ 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Slight Wardrobe Modification

Not Thinking About It

I've Been Set Free