Day 7: A Week Into This Thing

We are officially a week into this new year, and ironically I am writing post 7 (ironic since I actually started this challenge in December!). I read through several of my Pinterest lists this morning for a topic to write on today.  To my chagrin there really wasn't much that sounded fun, insightful, or even interesting - to me. So I decided to mix a couple ideas together for today's challenge.  Instead of making a list of things I want to accomplish in 2017 and instead of writing a letter to someone, I am going to write a letter to 2017. This should be fun!!!

Dear New Year (a.k.a. 2017),

We are officially seven whole days into welcoming you; at this point in time I'd say the newness has worn off. The sparkle and pizzazz wore off well before the ball dropped and Mariah Carey missed some vocal cues (according to FB - I was in bed for the live showing!). Sure there are those of us who still inadvertently give credit to your predecessor when dating things, like checks and emails,  but for the most part the "big deal" bit is over with. It's ok though, it is the way of things these days; nothing is "new" for long. (Check out all of the instant internet celebs...) That said, I have to admit I am looking forward to what you have to offer.  Yes, I know, there is a lot of it I have a part in, none of it is wholly to chance, but randomness does have much opportunity to present itself. (This is my way of saying there are goals I have set and circumstances that will happen beyond my control.)

I'm sure you are just getting the hang of being here and already have some big things planned for us.  The next of which is the inauguration of our next President and his perfectly selected VP.  I will politely back out of sharing some of my views on what is happening in society today and the idiocy of those acting out in a negative way because they aren't getting their way from a political standpoint. The last thing we need is one more bit of commentary. (But in case I recant that thought process later, I'll be sure to not associate it to this letter...that way you can claim ignorance.) Then there's tax season...or as many look at it...the way they get to cash in on their annual "savings" account.  Does that make the government like a bank?  If so, I think I want a better annual return for my investment.  Oh shucks, I think I'm getting back to politics...sorry!

Listen, let's get down to brass tacks here.  I have a few things I'd like to see out of you.  First, for the love of all that is holy, be nice.  Then if you could, be kind, be thoughtful, be caring, be generous, be, well, anything but awful!  We have 12 months, 52 weeks, 365 days, etc together - make it count.  I will be entering my last year as a thirty-something this year - I have hugely mixed reviews on this.  I was wicked excited to reach 30, but feel there is much I have yet to gain from this decade of life before I send it on its way.  So, if you could, help make it a good one in the memory department.  I will also get to celebrate the second year of marriage to my Mr.  Seriously couldn't be more excited.  I have truly never known a love like this and am so exceedingly blessed the Lord picked him for me and me for him.

Then there are all the times we get to share making memories with our Littles.  I want to let you know that in my devotional today I was kindly reminded that sometimes our greatest purpose on Earth is to grow someone else's greatest purpose on Earth.  That our legacy is, perhaps, only found in future generations.  How profound and exciting.  Not to mention what an honor and blessing.  Therefore, I am handing the balance of this year back to you in order to provide those opportunities where the Mr. and I can nurture the lives of the 5 people we call ours.  If I could take a moment, I'd also like to address the opportunities to grow the family as a whole.  While there is no better and no worse thing in life than family (by that I mean the intentional way they set out to hurt you and segregate you), you've been given a clean slate, so far as history is concerned.  Let's use the remainder of your days to add some exponential growth in the concept of family...especially more so since we are blended. Tighten your boot straps because there is much work to be done here in this area!

I'm going to get off track here for a moment and go a on a small environmental rant, if you will.  What the what are you doing with the weather?  I know you are merely a time construct utilized by man to negotiate and organize themselves, but pull yourself together man!  It's January.  In Indiana.  Where is the blasted snow?  It's officially one degree outside and they have more snow in the south today than we do!  In addition to that, if we could make summer shorter and spring/fall longer this year, that'd be great.

A small thing that is somewhat related to the weather, but not really; at some point in this next year, preferably today, if not, definitely sooner rather than later, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE heal my right knee.  I'm a fat girl.  I don't just want to run - I NEED TO RUN.  I miss the freedom of the open road, the changes in the seasons, the time I spent alone with God.  Actually, look at it this way.  If you can pull this off, you can stick your tongue out at your older sister (a.k.a. 2015) and  tell her you are soooo much better than she is because you fixed what she broke.  Just saying...there is much fun in a little sibling rivalry! 

While this letter is deeply rooted in satire, because after all, a year, in itself, can do no single thing to change the outcomes of our lives, there is one thing that can.  I'm going to take this moment to thank you in advance for all of the opportunities I will have to spend time alone with my Father (running or not).  The messages I will get to hear on Sunday mornings, the time in fellowship with my brothers and sisters in Christ, the devotionals I will get to read as the days pass, the prayers I will get to share with my family, the books I will get to read that will encourage and deepen my personal walk and daily journey, the lessons I will get to learn and those I may even have the honor of teaching.  I have big hopes for the year in this department and am anxiously awaiting to see how God molds me during this time - you've got your work cut out for you.  Hope you are ready!

With that, I bid you farewell and hello.

Keep it real,
M

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Kitchen Curtains

But Would You Still Say Yes?

One Car, Two Car - Red Car, Blue Car