One Giant Step

I did it!  I finished one of my goals.  I took a giant step towards the first day of the rest of my life.  I finished my degree.  What started with small steps, one to two classes at a time, at a traditional college, ended with a runner's sprint to the finish line at a school with a program geared towards working adults/professionals.  All I can say is - where was this school all those years ago?!  Despite the time it took to finish this goal, I can say one thing with certainty; it came at the exact time it needed to, at a precise moment in time.  I knew this was going to be a year of many firsts.  Truth, I've already experienced a lot of them.  So far, this is my favorite!  And it isn't so much the completion of this goal that makes it so.  No, it is all the love and encouragement that I received for accomplishing this goal.  You really need to know - I am so blessed.  I have the most amazing group of people I get the honor of calling friends and family.  Because of them, and their unending love and thoughtfulness I am writing this post.  This post is for them and them alone. 

I am where I am today because of their love and support.  Plain and simple.  I know people keep telling me I'm strong, I'm focused, I'm blah, blah, blah.  But, truth, I am none of this without all of them.  First, my family.  Yes, I have a quirky family tree with some broken branches, but in all honesty, as they say, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.  Essentially what I'm trying to say is...we are some pretty cool people.  I'm kind of fond of them all and think I will hold on to them - despite my total desire to run screaming from most family events, while simultaneously yanking at my hair, and yelling at the top of my lungs "Why me?  Why did I come from these people?!"  Ha!  Second, my church. I wouldn't be standing today if it weren't for their unconditional love and support.  Their desire to lift me up and hold me there.  Their unyielding faith and belief that God's truth is the only truth in life; that "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."  My church is an amazing church.  God is an amazing God.  I am blessed by both.  Last, and most definitely NOT LEAST.  My friends.  I could write an entire blog just on my friends.  I want to give my friends to you.  Not because I don't want them, but because they are so wonderful I want to share them.  I want all of you to know them and see how magnificent they are.  I love each and every one of them for different reasons and the same reason.  My friends ROCK!

As I depart this train of thought for the evening, I have one thing left to share.  One thing that means so much to me.  One thing that I hope will give you pause and a reason to think.

Life is full of so much.  Each day is a compilation of moments.  Moments which become potential memory makers.  These moments in and of themselves seem so fleeting to us. After all, they are but a small amount of time.  We yearn for some in the future, reminisce over ones in the past, yet it is the one we are in that creates the most vivid memory.  Live for it.  Embrace it.  Share it with those you love, with those who will love you back.   My day, my moment, my giant step, was but a series of moments, but I shared it with those I love.  My memory is complete.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away. - Hilary Cooper






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Kitchen Curtains

But Would You Still Say Yes?

A Slight Wardrobe Modification