Mirror, Mirror

If I were to ask you right this second to grab a mirror and take a long, hard look at yourself what is the first thing you would see?  Be honest here. I'm not asking you to reply to this post with your answer.  Look again.  What do you see now?  If you are anything like me you noticed the imperfection(s) straight away, whether they are actual or perceived.  It's alright, I'm just the disembodied voice on the other side of this computer, I can't see you.  But you want to know what I'd really see?  Beauty.  I'd see the gift God made you to be.  I'd see the beauty that was uniquely bestowed upon you by a Creator that doesn't make mistakes.  I can do that.  I have no problems seeing in others what I cannot see in myself.

In fact, the first thing I see when I look in the mirror is my scar.  I have one.  Its right there in the center of my forehead begging to be noticed and laughed at.  Truly, no one sees it straight off, but I do.  It's the unfortunate reminder that the Chicken Pox were not kind to me.  No, they were brutal and vicious and left many scars, but I've had far more damaging and permanent scars left over the years, both physical and emotional.  Then I see my chin, the one with scars from 2nd degree burns.  Year round it stares at me and I'm reminded that in my youth I was not invincible and tanning was not good for me, but oh the things we all do for beauty.  The things we still do for beauty.

Despite these things, these reminders of imperfection, there are those attributes I was born with - the ones my Creator designed especially for me.  The ones that, no matter what, I cannot truly change.  (Surgery aside) My hair type, the shape of my eyes, the size of my nose, the placement of them all, etc.  Because, simply, this is what I look like.  A truth I've not come to terms with easily.  I see each flaw instead of each gift.  Thin hair, slightly wavy (just enough to frizz at any sign of humidity), hazel eyes (which always look more brown than green - grrr), a prominent nose, I could go on and on and on.  I know, you are probably thinking, "why is she writing about this, why am I still reading this?"  Because you remember my last post?  The one where I was to focus on that one thing each day?  This is what I started with.  The physical attributes God gave me.

I started here because they are the external ones.  The ones that others see first.  The ones that I see second.  One of my favorite quotes of all time is by French poet Jacques Rigaut.  He said, “Don’t forget that I cannot see myself, that my role is limited to being the one who looks in the mirror.”  And that's just it.  I decided to actually LOOK in the mirror.  Not to just look at myself, but to truly SEE myself.  That is when I realized, (please know one thing I'm not trying to be vain, but to express my point) I have pretty eyes. No, really!  I love my cheek bones, I got lucky on this one. Ha! I really like my lips.  I think they are a good shape and they definitely help the last thing I love - my smile.  Praise the Lord he gave me good smile. 

And this is my point.  I think we, as women, tend to look at ourselves without really looking at the person in the mirror.  We see her for who we think she is and not for who she really is.  A masterpiece.  You are a masterpiece.  You are perfect.  You have features and qualities that no other woman on this Earth has.  You were lovingly created and you are radiant.  That person  you see, the one that stares back at you each day, she is amazing.  She is special.  She is unique.  She is you.  So, I'm urging you right now, find that one thing today and embrace it.  Then tomorrow, do it again.  Soon you will see what others see - a precious work of art.

I'm not sure if you saw this Youtube video that Dove created.  It is amazing. Dove Real Beauty Sketches.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Kitchen Curtains

But Would You Still Say Yes?

One Car, Two Car - Red Car, Blue Car