My Kitchen Curtains

Have you ever set out to redecorate a room in your home?  I find this one of the most infuriating things to do as a homeowner.  I swear I have used every color of paint known to man on these walls and still struggle to find that one color that just makes me swoon every time I enter the room. Because of this my walls are a lovely, albeit safe, shade of off white; though I am sure it has some fabulous name like - Barely There, Crushed Seashell, or Not Quite White.  But it comes across as truly B-O-R-I-N-G!  I mean, I have an intense personality and I am NOT afraid of color...heaven's you should see what I wear.  So, how do I take that and transform a room, and not spend a week's or a month's salary doing it? 

Here's the dilemma.  I don't know what I like!  I know, right?!  How on Earth do I start when I don't know where to start?  Ok, perhaps I do.  I like red.  I like contemporary/modern, bit not overly geometric.  I like floral, but not itty-bitty prints.  I like bold in  your face designs, but not too abrasive.  I'm a walking contradiction on one side.  On the other side, I like the feel of a den done in dark woods and deep seated leather furniture as well as sunny, soft day rooms with tons of squishy pillows and a rug that engulfs your bare feet as you walk on it.  How do I take all of those likes and turn them into something that I can be happy to come home to?

So, to be safe - as if I'm not already there, I thought I would start out with window treatments - in my kitchen!  No, seriously, this IS a big move! I have had the same curtains in there for years.  (Yes, I realize many people do the same thing and that this is not an extraordinary thing.)  However, I am struggling to find that right material or design, for that matter.  Seriously, WHAT is with the lacy, floral, dainty curtains that look like they could be turned into an angel costume at Christmas time?!  UGH! I've combed ebay, etsy, google's bazillion results and am coming up at a loss. I have also looked at JoAnne Fabrics, Hancock Fabrics, and other places online for material to attempt to make them myself, again, epic fail.  Here are a couple of swatches and designs I like.  Now, to find THE ONE that makes my eyes fall in love at first sight!

I really LOVE the amount of white space in this fabric, but the colors are all wrong.

Yes, yes, yes, on the size of the floral and the color. No, no, no, on the thing as a whole.

Gutsy, but too much yellow.  GRRRR....

Actually, I love this pattern, not hip on the black strip on the bottom, or the mustard yellow.

Dig the grommets.

This - in a multicolored, mostly red, not too large floral with grommets, please!


And now you know why my house essentially looks the same as it has for the past decade+.  Any suggestions?

Comments

  1. I love your blog, Mandy! You are such a good writer. Have you actually gone into the fabric shop to see what they have? Maybe that would help??? :) I only go with premade curtains because I can't sew, sew :) I'm not much help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. By golly, I think I've found it! http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/ImagePopUp.aspx?i=RL EMILY GARDEN

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Slight Wardrobe Modification

Not Thinking About It