Day 3: 2016

Today is the last day of 2016. While many people are preparing for the evening's festivities I will not be.  My middle Little asked me, just yesterday, what the big deal was about the new year and I simply told her, I don't know.  I have never really made plans for the New Year.  Well, there was the year I had just met my Mr. (2013) and he came to my friend's house just minutes before the New Year to share the holiday with me.  Otherwise, it has notoriously been a day to sit at home and do, well, nothing!

I thought of several different things I wanted to write about today - how this year has been one of constant turmoil, a few struggles, a couple exciting events, and a daily reminder of who I am and where I fit in.  You see, there is much I don't share, not because I don't want to, but because I don't know how to. It will come, the words will come and then change will follow; I trust in that. The timing of which is still up in the air.

I started this blog post almost 10 hours ago, before the day's activities really began. I had actually typed a few paragraphs which I have long since been deleted because they weren't the words I needed to share.  As I sit here thinking of 2016 I want to take this time of reflection to thank the people in my life.  Each person I have had the opportunity to come into contact with has given me something or rather taught me something, for which I am eternally grateful.  Here are but a few:


  • I have learned from my husband what faithfulness and forgiveness looks and feels like.  He has taught me that true love isn't dependent upon feelings, body type, bank account, sense of style, morning breath, or even medusa hair. It is based on unconditional love and following God's plan and direction for your marriage - TOGETHER.
  • I have learned from my Lord and Savior what a daily walk with him and obedience to his will looks and feels like, even when it means giving up on the things you think you want and need.  He really does know what is best.
  • I have learned from my children what unconditional love looks and feels like. Seriously these 5 people are some of my favorite in all the Earth.  I love being called mommy (mom by the older ones).  And hearing "I love you."
  • I have learned from the moms in my life how to be a good mom and how to grow the bonds of family.
  • I have learned from my friends what trust and support look and feels like.  And that time isn't and shouldn't be a defining factor of the bonds of friendship.  Picking up where you left off after a day, a week, a month, is just as much a blessing as that daily 7 AM messenger conversation.
  • I have learned from my bosses how not to lead people as well as the best ways of leading people and working with others.
  • I have learned from my sister's in Christ how to bow at the feet of Jesus and how not to give up when the going gets tough.  Because heaven know's it has been tough at times this year.
  • I have learned from my dear friend, who is like a mom to me, what having an adult who loves you, listens to you, and gives you Christ-centered advice can do for your broken spirit.  Not only that but just how important that bond is and how much it is needed. 
  • I have learned from watching my brother's wife what type of beauty comes from embracing a family that is not yours.  She is the epitome of a blended family matriarch.
  • I have learned from my ex-Mr.s family that kindness doesn't die the minute you are no longer a part of the family.  And I am thankful for that.
  • I have learned from my brother what turning your life around and taking care of a family that isn't yours looks like.  I have also learned from him what unsolicited help looks like; he'd literally give you the shirt off of his back.
  • I have learned from my sister how not to use a sharp kitchen knife to de-pit an avocado!  Ha!  Or more that conversation can be fun even when you are exact opposites of each other - in every way.
  • I have learned from my extended family that although miles separate us we are all still a part of a bigger whole.
  • I have learned from myself that you are never too old to stop learning, nor should you ever be.
People, as you ring in the new year in the special way that you personally do it, remember the blessings, the lessons, and the people 2016 brought to you.

Wishing you all a happy and prosperous New Year.

Love, M



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Kitchen Curtains

But Would You Still Say Yes?

A Slight Wardrobe Modification