You Can't Always Get What You Want

I really felt led to this post today.  It's been a couple days in the making really.  I have started it a couple times in my head and pretty much scratched it each time.  I find that when I get into a particular mood my posts follow suit.  Truth, I've had a craptastic week.  Yes, for those who don't know what that means - simply, it was not good.  Now, I've had some good events, like taking my last finals ever as a college student, but I've also had the unfortunate pleasure of a few lessons learned.  Ironic, huh? 

These lessons I've learned, they aren't exactly new ones.  Nope.  They have been taught to me before.  In fact, to add insult to injury, I was actually able to recall, ver batim, what I learned the first time. And, because there cannot be enough salt in this wound today, I even remember the time, place, and face of the person who taught them to me. Yep, exact same scenario.  Man, I'm a glutton for punishment!

So here is the thing - we all have those lessons we learn in life along the way.  The ones that we tuck away when we think they aren't needed, because maybe, just maybe, we are able to escape from the truth of them.  However, we aren't really escaping, we are simply filing them away for future reference.  BUT, and this is a big but, if we don't keep that memory, that perfectly organized card catalog of all the lessons learned, we get the joy of revisiting the lesson.  And let me tell you, the second time around is even MORE painful than the first. 

The reasons? 1) You're older.  Simply put, there comes a time when you should know what it is you are facing.  You should be able to see things for what they really are.  Yes, I understand that some lessons present themselves in different editions, if you will, but the subject matter is always the same.  Always!  2) You're wiser.  They always say that wisdom comes with age.  Well, let me tell you what...in some cases, with age, comes the reversion to your youthful idiocy.  You know, those ideological fantasies that all men are good, decent humans. 3)  You're finally unaffected by charm.  What-the-smurf-ever.  Yeah, ok, so  you thought all that "time" was well placed.  Nope, it was a tactic.  Yes, this was the exact lesson you had already been taught. 

To which, I want to say thank you to J.R. for that lesson - initially learnt in 1998.  You have no idea how much I fought that lesson.  How much I thought it was the wrong message at the wrong time, but really it was the thing I needed to hear the most.  The thing that the moment I needed to apply it, I failed.  But in hind-sight I remembered it more clearly and saw it for what it really was.  I blew it off then, and fought it now, but the student has finally heard the teacher.  Praise the Lord for forgiveness and the opportunity to right wrongs and try again.

So, friends, as you go about the day-in and day-out, remember one thing; You can't always get what you want.  But for all those other times, you might just find, you get what you need!  Oh, and lessons, are never out of time!

You Can't Always Get What You Want

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Kitchen Curtains

But Would You Still Say Yes?

A Slight Wardrobe Modification