Day 20: Sunday's are for Reading

I'm reading a Stephen King book.  It is an older book of his, written and published nearly 20 years ago.  I have willingly picked up about a half dozen of his books; truthfully, the genre just isn't my cup of tea.  Did you know (at least at the time of the publication of the book I'm reading) he has only published two non-fiction works?  That is what I am reading, his book entitled, On Writing.  It is phenomenal. I wouldn't classify myself a writer any more than I would a runner.  However, just like with running I've given it a solid go and enjoy it like there is no tomorrow.  Why this book?  Well, besides the obvious - I like to read,  I want to take my writing up a notch and he is an undisputed master wordsmith and storyteller.  There are a lot of good takeaways, such as - don't use big words, don't write about what you don't know, and always take it seriously.  Sure, there is a lot more in the book I found useful, insightful, and downright necessary, but the bulk of it is this - if you don't try, you never will.

I think I told you all a couple months back I had an itch to write a book.  I do. In all honesty, I've had this itch for over 20 years.  I have it outlined, in my journal.  It is a subject I have a lot of experience with and one that I am gaining knowledge from daily.  I would never claim to be an authority, but I will gladly tell you I have had front-row tickets, and the show has not always been stellar!  Will it be non-fiction?  Perhaps.  Will it be fiction? Only if I can figure out the nuances of communication. Will it be original?  Undoubtedly.  After all, no one has the exact same story to tell - there are always differences.

Yes, this will be a big jump from this blog.  I mean, outside of the sheer word count, there are many more obvious things - like the content!   Ha!  I cannot say when this adventure will officially start, and I can no more tell you when there will be a workable first draft.  However, I can tell you it will be bound in hope and tears, truth and emotion, fact and grace, trial and error.  It will be what it is and if it gets up off the ground long enough to be coined a book, it will have done one thing and one thing only - shared the story of a girl.

(And for some of you who picked up on that - You're quite welcome for the earworm!)

Happy Sunday all,
- M

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Kitchen Curtains

But Would You Still Say Yes?

A Slight Wardrobe Modification