The Heart of the Matter

I haven't had a sappy valentine's in a really long time.  In fact, I can't quite remember the last time I got a Valentine from my Husband.  Ok, that is a stretch.  I got flowers last year when I returned from Israel, as I was there on Valentines and about 5 years before that I vaguely remember a gift.  However, this year, not only did he rock out the Valentine's gift, but the delivery too.  I got a beautiful bouquet of roses and a box of chocolates, hand delivered to me, at work!  YES!  I mean, I've always wanted to be that girl that got things at work, and today, today I got to be that girl!  I have been on this euphoric high all day.  I'm loved, I'm loved, I'm loved.  Ah, Hallmark, thank you for your sales pitches and thank goodness for consumerism!

It was a great day overall in our household.  All of us girls got a Valentine's.  My husband bought our girls small boxes of chocolates too.  Then, today at school, all three celebrated with in-class parties.  My youngest was especially excited as this was her first ever experience with Valentine's, my middle daughter's class celebrated with a pajama party and card exchange, my oldest, she is a bit melancholy as this is the last year she will have a Valentine exchange at school since she is going to middle school next year, but she had a card exchange none-the-less. 

It's amazing what these small tokens of appreciation can do for the souls of the recipients.  It is sad really, to think that there has to be a special day in the year to recognize another person and give them a small token to let them know you are thinking of them.  I wonder what would happen if we took this concept and applied it to every day of the year; not the gift giving part, but the thinking of other's part.  Could we through that make this world a happier place?  Oh, I am sure we could, after all it has always been said that happiness starts one person at a time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Kitchen Curtains

One Car, Two Car - Red Car, Blue Car

A Slight Wardrobe Modification