The Waters of Life

I'm not a water person. I don't long for beaches and ocean views for as far as the eye can see. I don't plan extravagant tropical vacations and I most certainly don't envy those who do.  Yet, I live in an area surrounded by water.  Lakes.  We are surrounded by lakes. LOTS of them and great big ones too - ahem...as in The Great Lakes. I can literally travel 20 minutes in any direction and be at a lake, river, or stream.  I am also not a fan of boats. They scare me.  It's not that they are inherently bad, but more because their sole purpose is to put me smack dab in the middle of said body of water and well, NO THANK YOU!!!

Despite my general dislike for the water, I do appreciate the beauty of it. (I know, I often wonder about myself, too!) In fact, I don't mind looking at pictures of beautiful ocean/beach landscapes, hiking trails along a lake or river, and going to see certain bodies of water - like, say, waterfalls.  In fact, some of my favorite pictures are those of little lakes I have taken while backpacking in the Rockies or visiting various other National parks around our country and Canada.

My best friend and I took a two-day pack trip up into the Rockies a decade or so ago and camped way up - past the ability to have a real campfire. (Basically past normal air! HA!) There was a small, beautiful lake on our way up. It was surrounded by flowers, trees, and many hikers. I remember falling in love with the view as we crested the first major incline of our hike, but my friend told me to wait, there was a better one coming. (She had already hiked this trail before.) We got higher and higher, and my body got weaker and more tired.  So much so, by the time we got to "camp" I was so exhausted I spread out there, on the ground - as in on the side of a mountain - and slept.  No tent, no blanket, just me and the mountain.  Hey, when you're tired you just do you.

I don't recall the amount of time I was asleep for, but I remember telling her, after I awoke, how amazing the views were.  Sure, vegetation was minimal - we were too high up for much to grow- but the view.  Oh, the view.  However, she told me to wait because there was something better. She got up and I followed her.  There, in the clearing about 15 feet from our camp, was a little lake. It was the clearest, most pristine lake I had ever laid eyes on.  It took my breath away. There wasn't a ripple on the surface and I could clearly see the bottom.  I remember not only seeing the colorful rocks under the water's surface but also my reflection on the water's surface.  (And man did I need a nice big cup of coffee and a shower!)

Proverbs 27:19 tells us, "As water reflects the face, so one's life reflects the heart."

I like to think the reason I saw my reflection so well that day was due to the lack of turbulence on the water's surface. Sure we were up really high, it was chilly for mid summer and there was even snow on some of the furthest peaks, but the fact was, the water was peaceful. In contrast, the lakes in these parts are seldom calm. Well, perhaps when the winter has iced them over or before everyone wakes up in the morning and heads out for their daily adventures on them. Lakes around here are well used for recreational purposes on good days (summer) and tossed about on those days Mother Nature has other plans (fall, winter, spring).

It's much like life. We have seasons where our circumstances and situations are peaceful and others where the storms have tossed us about. Yet, the Lord tells us, despite this our heart tells us of who we are.  Work with me here.

It is very easy for us to be happy, joyful even, when life is going our way. We can see clearly.  There is no adversity and we don't have to put any real effort into making things happen.  For lack of better words, we just are. In these days we are able to put our best feet forward; after all, nothing is taxing us so there is minimal effort required. The image we see is that of a person put together, gleefully sashaying (ok, I may have just watched Cinderella) through life.  People, in these moments we are the embodiment of perfection.  (Yes, I am taking the Disney analogy a little too far.)

However, when the storms come (because they always do), and the waters are choppy - the real test presents itself. In these times, what is being reflected in our lives?  Are we still joyful despite the ripples?  Are we still able to hold our heads up and take the next step? Are we still able to do the right thing for the sake of doing the right thing?  That is just it.  We don't truly see the reflection of who we are when the waters of life are calm.  Rather, when the storms rage and the waters are unbearable, that alone, is when we see our true reflection because in those moments you have to dig deeper than the surface.  You have to look under the ripples.

Why?  Because underneath all that is happening around you, is the person who is holding it all together for you. If your faith is shallow then the ripples will wipe away the reflection of God's work in your life and you will reflect the bitterness, the hatred, the ugly truth of your heart when faced with trials.  But when your faith is deep, you see the image of your Heavenly Father reflected in the ripples.  Because it is at those moments where He is holding you, guiding you, leading you, and helping you through the storm.  Sure, He has the power to take it all away, but sometimes, just sometimes, He walks you through them to show you what your heart is really made of for the purpose of growing you more into His likeness.

I won't sit here and pretend I have seen His reflection in every storm, nor will I pretend I have never been the cause of a storm in my own life.  However, I can say without a doubt, the longer I have been on this Earth and the more seasons I have gone through, the more opportunities I have been given to see my life's reflection. Yes, there are storms where I see nothing but raging waters, others where I am standing firmly in the midst, and still others where I had my eyes closed so hard I missed seeing the reflection of Him who was holding me. However, in all those times, learning took place.

What season are you in? Calm or stormy, what does your heart say about you?  Would you be willing to give that over to the Lord?

In His Name,
 -M



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Slight Wardrobe Modification

Not Thinking About It

I've Been Set Free