The Encouragement of Easter

This morning, like many others, I awoke to numerous notifications on my phone.  One of which, was for a post made in the Christian Moms Who Write group I am a member of. The post was a simple question, made by the group founder and admin, "What encourages you most about the Easter celebration?"

I didn't hesitate in penning (errr...rather swyping) my response. After all, the answer had actually been heavy on my heart since I awoke Friday.

Good Friday is many things to many people. I look to it and see the good it holds - perhaps why it was coined as such - the fact my Savior willingly died for me.  However, to look at it in those terms only, in my eyes, is to miss the sorrow and to mourn its occurrence. I woke yesterday with the hymn, How Great Thou Art playing on repeat in my head. (My absolute favorite hymn.) And truly, who could deny His greatness?

My verbatim response to her question was:
"Easter encourages me on so many levels but before it does that, it humbles me. It begs me to ask, who am I? Then it reminds me it isn't about me at all. Then Easter gives me the hope that no matter what I think and feel about myself, no matter what I've done, come from, or may face going forward - it's covered. Each and every thing. Again, not because of me but because of Him who chose to create me. That somehow He decided on me and He never once gave up searching for me. And I found Him. We met. We flirted from time to time. I left Him for a while. Then I came crawling back. And there He was - waiting. And only because of Easter did that happen. And because of Pentecost which only came because of Easter can a piece of Him live in me. I'm not worthy but any stretch but He who is in me. And by God's glorious grace and intimate love can I sit here today and proclaim Him as mine. All mine. And to think, 2000 years ago, He already knew. #humbled #mindblown #iamsaved #iamhis"

For me, Good Friday is a humbling experience. We don't get the joy of the resurrection without the pain of the crucifixion. We don't get the honor or eternal life without accepting the price that was paid. In service last night we were reminded the cross is not a cheery symbol, but one of pain, anguish, and severe punishment by death. It is not a clean, pristine, and scar free symbol, but rather one that left the weight of the world and all the sin before and after embraced for all eternity. The cross, as shared by a friend at church last night, is a reminder to us that Good Friday was the death of death itself!  

Today I can sit here with 2000 year's worth of knowledge reveling the outcome.  I already know, in my heart and soul, the tomb was empty. Not because some book told me, but because I know Him. Personally. Intimately. Relationally. He is REAL to me. But there were almost two whole days where others didn't know. I can almost feel their pain, sorrow, and heartache. I can earnestly believe and share in their mourning. Here their beloved Jesus was dead. Their Messiah, my Messiah. YOUR Messiah. Immanuel. Dead. Buried. And then....then...


He rose!  He conquered death.  For all of us. He, Himself, took my pain, my shame, my past, my present, and my future, and He covered it. Completely. Better yet, He did this for you too.  For no other reason than, you were worth it to Him.  You and I meant the world to Him. He not only did this for us, but for those who came before and those who will come after us. 

And that, dear readers, is the encouragement of Easter. No matter where you are in life, no matter what you have done or will do, He still died for you.  He paid for it. ALL. OF. IT.  There is only one requirement He has - believe - and then accept Him in faith into your life.  (I encourage you to listen to this song: WE BELIEVE



May you have a blessed Easter and find the encouragement it holds for you.

Love
- M

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Slight Wardrobe Modification

Not Thinking About It

The Words