2022 Word of the Year

 This word came to mind a few weeks ago, and try as I might to find something a little more...casual, I could not. Without fail, this word came back time and again through conversation, in reading, and during moments of reflection. Perhaps it was the Lord's way of telling me what I need to focus on and how to make my goals and his will come together.


Alignment.


By itself, this word is really rather dull; even the dictionary definition lacks excitement.
   1. an arrangement in a straight line or in a correct or appropriate relative position(s)
   2. a position of agreement or alliance


Alignment.


Then it hit me. Reflection often has that impact (pun intended)!


Think with me for a moment. Have you ever had a horrible backache? One that felt like every single one of your vertebrae was walking helter-skelter on a slippery tight rope? Yet, was clenching every fiber of its construct into a tight ball to ensure it would not fall? Painful, right?


Or what about when you make plans to do something with a friend, and you decide upon taco Tuesday at the restaurant in town. Misalignment would have you at a dive around 5 pm and your friend at the Bell at 5:15 pm. Sure, the Bell is a dive, and the timing is close, but that slight shift in the plans leads to frustration - for both of you.


Alignment.


I do not deny the perfectness of this word for this year. There is much that I need to align.


I have made several goals across several areas in my life. However, if I do not align my dreams with God's will and the source of strength to make them happen, well...


I will end up in both pain and frustration.


Alignment.


I will continue to ruminate on this word for a while. I will also likely return to it and recenter myself many times before the year is over. After all, I have a way of walking slippery tight-ropes (also known as over-committing, procrastination, self-doubt, daydreaming, and checking out with a book...).

Alignment Pictures, Alignment Stock Photos & Images | Depositphotos®


Alignment.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths. Be not wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord, and turn away from evil.    - Proverbs 3:5-7                                                    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Kitchen Curtains

But Would You Still Say Yes?

One Car, Two Car - Red Car, Blue Car