The Words

 I have written tens of thousands of words over this past year and a half. Those words have brought me to tears - tears filled with anger, frustration, fear, joy, and sadness.

Some words I have put on paper for others to read, and some I will keep for myself.

Those are my words.

I read an article yesterday, or maybe it was the day before, that shared a famous author's outlook on the importance of writing and the success that comes from it. In a nutshell, he said - just do it. I wonder if Nike has a pair of shoes to go with that sentiment?!

I am a full-time student. I am also a full-time mom, wife, and housekeeper. For added joy, I am a part-time substitute in several area high schools. One would think with this mix of influence, I would have many words to share.

I don't.

Yet, I do. See, words are the things that fly through my mind when I do not have a pen and paper, a keyboard and time, or a device to record my thoughts. These are the profound words I tell myself I will remember and then never do.

Writing is hard. On the one hand, you would think that words flow in a cacophony of taps on a keyboard; on the other, you know they have been stopped up more securely than Hoover Dam.

Words do that.

As a mom of teenagers, I have tried to state the importance of sharing truth and kindness, meaning what we say and saying what we mean. But, if ever there was a student for that advice, it would be me. I tend to flourish in prose.

At least my research chair says so.

Currently, I have focused my words on my doctoral work. Oh, so many words. I am working on a local government, social equity, community-driven problem. It is bigger than me, but it is astronomically important to me too.

Words matter.

How do your words come out? Do they flow, or are they stopped up? Are they filled with wisdom or drenched in tears? Are they genuine and kind? Are they making a difference to others?

That is my personal challenge - to use my words to make a difference for the world around me.

Because words can.

Proverbs 18:4 - "A person's words can be life-giving water; words of true wisdom are as refreshing as a bubbling brook."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Kitchen Curtains

But Would You Still Say Yes?

One Car, Two Car - Red Car, Blue Car