Motivational Monday

I am still in Proverbs. I admit, I've been reading slow these days. It's as if getting through the word isn't the same as getting in the word; the former is the goal, the latter is the prize.  I read all of Proverbs 20 this morning and while I found a couple nuggets to think on - or that hit home, it wasn't until 21:2 where I was stopped in my tracks.

"A person may think their own ways are right, but the Lord weighs the heart."

If I may be honest, this verse scared me at first. Actually, it scared me a lot. I know it shouldn't because God is God and I am not.  I mean, why wouldn't He know all there is about me? In fact, it is comforting He knows every small detail about me and yet He loves me still - idiosyncrasies and all. But this verse tells me a little more about God and His level of knowing me.

As people we are very selective with who we let into our lives. Ok, maybe not everyone is like this, but I am. I have two people (my Mr. and my best friend) who know what I really think and how I struggle with those thoughts. Sure, I have others I share with, take all of you for example, but I share what I share and you're welcome.

There is a level of exposure that comes with sharing your inner person with others. This deep sharing is way beyond the superficial - it is past pleasantries and social acceptance. This sharing is what's given to others you are comfortable with and those you know, without a shadow of a doubt,  won't turn and share with anyone else. These are people who will help you to grow in spite of and in relation to what you have shared. Now, go on, think of this person in your life. Thank them and cherish who they are for you.

Now, I want to tell you something about this person.  Not in relation to who they are, but solely because of who you are. They don't know you as well as you think they do. They don't. Because despite the level of exposure you give them there are still things you don't share. I am not saying that is bad - at all.  What I AM saying is this - there is one who knows you better that you know yourself.  He doesn't just know your thoughts and actions, He knows your motives behind them.

Now, if that doesn't scare you, I don't know what will.  Please don't stop reading this post now - we are just getting to the good part!!! How many times have you done something good for the sake of doing something good and then how many times have you done something good so that others can see you doing something good?  Do you see the difference there?  It comes down to the motive behind the action.

It is that small difference where our Lord and Savior knows us better than anyone else in this world.  He knows what is in our heart - are we seeking to please Him or man? Are we working to an end of self gratification and preservation or that of another. Are we extending ourselves to help another grow in and become closer to the Lord or are we Bible-thumping for the sake of Bible-thumping?  People, it is this!

1 Corinthians 4:4-5 says this, "My conscience is clear, but that does not make me innocent. It is the Lord who judges me. Therefore judge nothing before the appointed time; wait until the Lord comes. He will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will expose the motives of the heart. At that time each will receive their praise from God."  and 

Hebrews 4:12 tells us this, " For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart."

I don't want to scare you. These are actually verses of comfort. I have not shied from the fact we are going through a really rough season. This season has presented opportunity after opportunity to express ourselves in light of our beliefs rather than in light of our feelings.  But this morning, after reading the passage in Proverbs and the others shared above to help me gain more understanding, I admit I may not be completely honest with myself in this. I hate to admit that God knows what I myself don't allow others to know. (I shared some in my last post - bitterness of heart and spirit).  

I don't want to like this person. I want to hate them and not give them an ounce of my energy.  I don't show this to others. But God knows.  He knows the motives behind my actions even when I don't share them with others. He knows when I think what I don't say. He knows when I don't do what I should and do what I shouldn't where they are concerned. He knows the disdain I harbor for this individual.  More than that, He knows the truth behind each and every step I take.

It is hard to admit this. It is hard to know someone is working with all their might to break up your family, your home, and your livelihood - and that the thoughts you have for that person are wrong. While I cannot change them, God can change me.  While I cannot make them behave differently, God can reach them. 

I pray the Lord can give me the strength to pray for this person and their brokenness.  I pray that He reveals all of the ways I have been a hindrance to this situation rather than a conduit for His glory. I know I can't change the past and I most certainly cannot design the future, but I know someone who can.  And He is so much more interested in making me into His likeness than He is with my comfort and security on this Earth.

So, if you will excuse me, I am going to go check my motivations at the door and hope in the process God is cleaning me up.  In order that on the day I stand before Him, while I know I will be judged accordingly, I pray I will also be judged accordingly.

Hoping this post meant something to you.  

- M

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Kitchen Curtains

But Would You Still Say Yes?

One Car, Two Car - Red Car, Blue Car