Finding a Way

"In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps."  Proverbs 16:9

I need to be honest with you here, I'm not sure if this is a good verse or a bad verse.  Now, before you get all hinky about me saying out loud there are bad verses of scripture, I need you to know I don't believe that at all.  Moreso, I believe perception can lead one (ahem, me) to believe that.  See, there's a HUGE difference.  I digress.

I've not made it a secret, in the least, concerning my goals and dreams.  I have long held this thought I would become a teacher/professor and my life would be complete.  I didn't expect the process to be easy any more than I expected it to be difficult. However, what I am learning is that while I have been planning my course...someone else has been establishing my steps.  And frankly, I do not know what to do next.  I have had some great advice, such as: wait on the Lord, be patient with the process, get professional assistance with the resume/cover letter/LinkedIn profile, quit my job and start at the bottom and work my way back up in education.  While these are excellent and quite truthful, there is a rather small bit of it that is not so practical.  And, me, I'm above all else, practical.  At least financially speaking.

I may not be in my desired profession or career, but I do work for a good company and I have a job that allows me to provide for my family.  Honestly, there is no more a person could ask for, right?  So, why this melancholy haze surrounding me?  Because there is a passion inside to teach and I have yet to find a way to do so.  I have read countless articles lately concerning career advancement, career changes, managing personality and feelings in a career change, and how to find contentment in a career.  Thank goodness for the internet, truly it is wrought with information - some good and some bad.

I interviewed with a university a month ago today for an Adjunct Professor role.  I'd like to tell you I remember all the questions I was asked and all the answers I gave.  I do not. What I can tell you is that finding a way towards your dream is bumpy, twisty, and sometimes painful.  I did not get the position, and they have re-posted the opening with an update to the job description. *Must have teaching experience in an academic setting. I can't blame them, I'd want a professional too. I mean, my ability to lead a discussion, foster learning, and grade assignments is a baseline for not only their success but the success of the students they wish to gain as well as maintain.  I have expected no less from the countless professors I have had over the years.

I admit it was a learning experience and one bound in hopeful optimism.  I mean, I got to the interview stage.  Getting there was not easy.  It came with a three-month journey consisting of an application (along with all the requisites that entails) and multiple questionnaires, letters of recommendation (professional and personal), formal writing samples (broad topic - itty bitty writing space), transcripts (undergrad and grad), and prayer.  Oh, so much prayer. While it did not produce my desired end result, I did find progress. It was during a random conversation with my best friend where I found a possible path.  I have long maintained that the classroom is not always traditional.  In fact, I have taught people around the world for my job.  I have written training manuals and programs and then trained the trainers in several countries.  I loved that job.  I was teaching.  Then the technology allowed for less travel and more web-based collaboration and I got a new position at work...

I pieced that conversation together with the one subject that truly gets my where it counts.  One subject, that when I was asked decades ago what I would teach I did not have the answer to.  I absolutely love Personal Finance.  I love budgets and ledgers, values and percents.  I also love compound interest and market value and knowing when to walk away from a sale and when to jump on it.  I love helping people eek out that level of margin in their budget to find room to breathe and then show them how to grow it - even if it is painful.  I didn't know this years ago, even as I helped co-workers figure out their money situation on scratch pieces of paper in the lunch room at work.  I love seeing that look in someone's eye when they get to that point where something is paid off, and yes, just maybe they CAN say no to overtime and/or the second job. 

So, all that said, I will be starting a second blog.  One aimed strictly at Personal Finance.  The formatting of it is still in its infancy and how it will progress, well, I'm leaving that open.  What I know, more than anything, is that I want to teach and help people - families - get their money under control.  I know I don't have all of the answers and I know I have made a mistake or two in my lifetime where money is concerned.  While I am no Dave Ramsey or Chuck Bentley, I am a person who has a desire to see others get out of debt and live a life that has meaning to them.  Won't you join me on this new adventure?

Here's to finding a way while trusting the Lord.

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths." Proverbs 3:5-6

-M

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Kitchen Curtains

One Car, Two Car - Red Car, Blue Car

A Slight Wardrobe Modification