The Windy City

There are few places on this Earth I truly love.  Truth be told, there are few I have traveled to.  Regardless, there are a few that keep a little piece of my heart each time I go.  There are those places that are awe inspiring and breathtaking, they are precious reminders of God's perfect creation; then there are those that are mostly man made but leave you just as breathless.  (No, I'm not putting man up there with God, sheesh!)  One such place is Chicago. Every single time I go I long for the chance to return.  In fact, when I was little I used to dream of some day moving to the city and finding my prince charming in a magnificent condo on Lake Shore.  We'd take long walks on Navy Pier and Michigan Avenue.  We'd watch the Bears every time they played at home and I'd never be more than a block from a coffee shop.  However, grown-up life isn't like that, but it is just as wonderful.  Because as a grown-up I can still visit the city (something a lot more affordable than actually living there) and enjoy all it has to offer, but also share it with those that I love (that'd be my family).

This past weekend Mr. Man and I celebrated our 10 year wedding anniversary.  We had grand plans to go several different places.  We looked at weekends in New York City, Seattle, Tennessee, a cruise, Hawaii, you name it - we thought of it.  After all, the main goal was to finally have the honeymoon we never had.  However, in order to do those things you have to have someone to watch your kids and since we didn't we had to modify our plans.  So, what does a couple, who has never vacationed alone, do with all the money they saved for their special time together?  Well, they take their kids on the best weekend adventure they've ever had. 


The last time we were in the city was a bit over four years ago.  At that time we did the "normal" family-of-small-children thing.  You know, the museums, zoos, kid-safe restaurants, etc.  This time, we livened things up a bit, after all this was for us too, right?!  On the first day we went to the Willis (Sears) Tower and stood out over the city in one of those suspended decks.  From there we went to lunch at Bennigan's and then on to Millennium Park.  While there we saw the 'bean' and Crown Fountain.  Ok, the kids really, really loved the park.  Our oldest little, she wanted to see the bean the most, our middle little well, she just simply didn't want to walk anymore, and our littlest little, she got soaked!  In all we had a great day!







That night we stayed in a Westin.  It was the first time I have ever stayed in one and the first time our kids have ever stayed in a hotel.  Needless to say they were super excited!  I think the best part for them was the pool.  Had the water not  been so cold I'm pretty sure we'd have stayed in there for hours.  The following day we surprised the kids with a trip to LegoLand.  Oh my goodness!  If you have not been to one, GO!  No, seriously, get online now, book your tickets, and make a day of it.  I have three girls...this place is NOT just for boys.  Plus, Mr. Man and I had fun building with them.  I loved the smiles and memories we made.








I can't wait for our next weekend adventure or even our next daycation.  It seems the older the littles get, the more fun we have.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Slight Wardrobe Modification

Not Thinking About It

I've Been Set Free