The Calmer of the Storm

I am currently in a Women's Bible Study hosted at my church's main campus. I love that I am geographically centered between our satellite campus (the one I regularly attend) and the main campus, but I digress. The Bible study is called, "The Quest" by Beth Moore. If you've never done one of her studies before, I encourage you to look into one. They are truly unique in their approach and delivery but you will, without a doubt, be filled with the truth of God's word. Now, back to this study!

If you've followed my blog for any amount of time, you know my passion is teaching. It is the one thing, hands-down, I long to do with/in my life.  For those who are newer to this blog I'll spare you the deep dive (there are years worth of posts) - I have wanted to teach since elementary school. To save you some math that is three decades ago. While professionally I am not quite there, I don't doubt the doors are being fashioned and God will open them and allow me through at some point. In fact I wager God is purposely taking His time on this part of my life for many very important reasons, some of which are lost on me, others not so much.

On Page 93 in the Bible study Moore illustrates her lifelong quest for knowledge and understanding of God's uniquely purposeful delivery. Her exact example concerned the use of a talking Donkey. No, I'm not referring to Shrek and neither was she!!! She goes on to explain to us, the reader, the reason why she spends so much time researching and questing and then tells us, "I do this because any teacher worth her salt is first and foremost a student."

That simple statement stopped me cold. Dead. In. My. Tracks. I underlined it. Reread the paragraph and read that single sentence multiple times again. Then I closed the study for a couple days. There was something I needed to learn in that sentence. There is something I am learning in many different ways this past week. This sentence culminated those lessons. I cannot teach what I do not learn. Learning is to teaching as teaching is to learning. *Mind blown*

Honestly, I am not naive enough to think one doesn't have to be educated to teach.  That is absurd. However, I believe there are lessons we teach others that have nothing whatsoever to do with academic truths. There are lessons that can only be taught through hands-on learning and day-to-day traipsing (questing) through this thing called life. In fact, I will be so bold as to point out that God willing allows the storms in our lives to cultivate and form the lesson plan(s). Now, having completed multiple years of schooling I can attest to disliking many of the subjects the university felt necessary I learn to have a well-rounded degree. Likewise, I adamantly protest to the way in which God uses similar tactics in His teaching me.

If we are honest, though, don't we all?! ...teacher...is first and foremost a student... All this said, I want to share with you a few things I have learned in this past few weeks concerning the storms of life. This list isn't exhaustive and could almost be viewed as single-sourced/purposed.  Regardless, the points are factual - given a proper amount of reflection.

1. There are storms in every season.
2. The precipitation depends upon the season.
3. Some storms are brutal, others just a pop-up shower.
4. It's ok to get wet.
5. Despite preparations, you can still be unprotected.
6. Never be too proud to ask for an umbrella.
7. God certainly does know, and no, you aren't forgotten.
8. Change comes with time, and all storms take time.
9. There is beauty in the storm.

Last, but certainly not least,

10. this too shall pass. (For the sake of sheer transparency, I stumble all over this fact, because when in the midst of a storm it is so very hard to see outside of it.)

I don't have any anecdotes for making storms easier, more enjoyable, less fraught with pain and angst, but I do have the luxury of hindsight on storms that have passed. I cannot always say each new storm will follow a pattern or even bring with it similar circumstances, but I can say, without a shadow of a doubt, the Calmer of the Storm is never-changing and always-present.

Now, who's got an umbrella?

-M

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Kitchen Curtains

But Would You Still Say Yes?

One Car, Two Car - Red Car, Blue Car